This comprehensive course delivers a solid foundation of knowledge every low voltage technician must have. Students learn about construction methods, electrical basics, job site safety, tools and industry standards. Technical principles of structured wiring including cabling, components and outlets are explained, along with design and installation procedures, testing and troubleshooting methods.
Informative text, detailed color diagrams, and instructional videos teach precisely what students need to know to successfully learn the fundamentals of an EST. Special In-Depth articles provide deeper background and technical information on critical topics, and Project Management Tips coach installers on good management practices. An onlineGlossary provides ready access to definitions of key terms.
The course is divided into thirteen sections – each section ends with a quiz, and a comprehensive test at the end of the course allows students to demonstrate their newfound knowledge.
Students should have a basic understanding of what residential technologies are and the benefits they provide, but no prior technical knowledge is required.
Course Learning Objectives
- Define various residential electronic systems
- Explain the benefits of residential electronic systems
- Recognize the components of residential construction
- Create a safe working environment on the job
- Use project plans and documents
- Design and document a structured wiring system
- Pre-wire a structured wiring system
- Safely install and terminate a structured wiring system
- Test and troubleshoot a structured wiring system